Home | Biography | Articles | Publications
Harold M. Best is emeritus professor of music and dean emeritus of the Wheaton College (Illinois) Conservatory of Music.
Prior to joining the Wheaton faculty in 1970, Dr. Best served as professor of organ and theory at Nyack (N.Y.) Missionary College. During his last two years at Nyack he served as Chairman of the division of music. Dr. Best received the B.S.B. form Nyack College, the M.A. from Claremont Graduate School, and the D.S.M. from Union Theological Seminary. His retirement in May 1997 was celebrated with the publication of a Festschrift, "The Oil is our Worship, The Water is our Service".
Dr. Best is the author of numerous articles on the relationship of Christianity to the fine arts, issues in arts education, and curriculum. His book Music Through the Eyes of Faith was published by HarperSanFrancisco in 1993. He composes in a wide range of media and styles, and his publications include both choral and organ compositions. He is also active at the national level as a lecturer, consultant and workshop leader.
Dr. Best is active at the national level of music and higher education. He is Past President of the National Association of Schools of Music and past Chairman of the Commission on Accreditation. In connection with this, he also serves regularly as a lecturer, evaluator and consultant in accreditational and curricular matters. In addition, he is a member of the ASCAP Standard Awards Panel.
At the local level, he is past President of the Board of Directors of the Glen Ellyn Children's Chorus and is Chairman of the Wheaton Municipal Band Commission.
Besides his professional work in music, Dr. Best has restored a 1954 Studebaker coupe and a 1956 Hawk and is presently at work on a 1953. He enjoys constructing radio-controlled airplane models, and furniture refinishing.
Dr. Best and his wife, Juel, have three children and four grandchildren. They are members of the Glen Ellyn Covenant Church where he was choir director from 1971 to 1996.