September / October 1996 Edition
This edition of The Real Issue is devoted to the theme of addressing God's call to the Christian professor on campus.
Your comments, suggestions, and requests concerning The Real Issue may be mailed to email@example.com .
Contents, September/October 1996:
- The University: An Unreached People Group
- Mike Duggins, field director for Christian Leadership Ministries, writes of the calling of a Christian professor on a secular campus. He outlines Christ's call to all Christians to be His disciples, explains the great spiritual need on the modern university, illustrates how Christian faculty can come together to reach a campus, and lists some of the resources Christian Leadership offers to make all this possible.
- The Calling of a Christian Professor
- Dr. Walter Bradley, co-founder of Christian Leadership Ministries and a nationally recognized professor of mechanical engineering at Texas A&M University, is interviewed by the Real Issue about the calling of Christian professors on campus. From the Biblical precedents for a professor's calling to addressing common fears about having a public faith and specific ways in which faculty can minister to students and colleagues on campus, Bradley speaks from years of experience and pulls from numerous personally-tested ministry strategies.
- A "Closet Christian" Steps Out
- Dr. John Cimbala, a mechanical engineering professor at Penn State University, describes his transformation from a professor who kept his beliefs separated from his professional life, to one who regularly gives his testimony in class and who has developed lectures that lead to discussions about God. Cimbala lays out some simple rules of thumb which help Christian professors to begin to minister on campus.
- My Favorite Idea for Ministry
- Four professors from different campuses who are actively invovled in ministry on campus, share from personal experience about their favorite ideas for reaching out to students and colleagues.
- Talking Tenure: Ministering by Meeting Needs at the University
- Dr. Rae Mellichamp, a co-founder of Christian Leadership Ministries, has been actively involved in reaching the campus for Christ for over 25 years. As a highly successful and well-known professor at the University of Alabama, Mellichamp pioneered several effective outreach strategies now used throughout the country. Now fulltime with Christian Leadership Ministries, Mellichamp speaks to Christian faculty groups and conducts outreaches among nonChristian faculty around the country. One of his most effective outreaches is built around a helpful lecture about how to achieve, and maintain, tenure at a university.