Bible Literacy Quiz
Along with an alarming drop in basic literacy and cultural literacy
in the United States, researcher George Gallup has discovered that
born-again Christians are woefully ignorant of some very basic,
very important Bible teachings. According to Gallup, less than half
of the born-again community can list five of the Ten Commandments.
Only three out of five Christians can recall the names of the first
four books of the New Testament. Only half of the Christians polled
correctly identified the person who delivered the Sermon on the
Mount. And a full 42% of the Christians said that without the
government's laws, there would be no real guidelines for people to
follow in daily life.
It's one thing to shake our heads in disbelief--and quite
another to find out just how biblically literate we are, after all.
So try your hand at this Bible literacy quiz and see how you'd fare
if Mr. Gallup were to show up at your door!
1. Who wrote the first four books of the New
Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
2. Who wrote the first five books of the Old
Most conservative scholars hold that the Pentateuch was
written by Moses.
3. What two Old Testament books are named for women?
Esther and Ruth.
4. What are the Ten Commandments?
1. I am the Lord your God; you shall have no other gods
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of
anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother.
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not give false testimony against your
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall
not covet your neighbor's wife--or anything that belongs to your
neighbor. (Exodus 20:2-17)
5. What is the Greatest Commandment?
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all
your soul and with all your mind." (Matthew 22:37,38)
6. What is the second Greatest Commandment?
"Love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39)
7. What is the Golden Rule?
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (Matthew
8. What is the Great Commission?
"Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing
them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy
Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
And surely I will be with you always, to the very end of the age."
9. What was the test of a prophet, to know that he was
truly from God?
He had to be 100% accurate in his prophecies. The penalty
for a false prophet was death by stoning. (Deuteronomy 18:20-22)
10. To whom did God give the 10 Commandments?
Moses. (Exodus 20)
11. Which two people did not die?
Genesis 5:24 says that Enoch, who was Noah's great-
grandfather, "walked with God; then he was no more, because God
took him away." The other was the Old Testament prophet Elijah, who
was taken up to heaven in a whirlwind with a chariot and horses of
fire. (2 Kings 2:11)
12. What is the root of all kinds of evil?
The love of money. (1 Timothy 6:10)
13. What is the beginning of wisdom?
The fear of the Lord. (Psalm 111:10)
14. Who delivered the Sermon on the Mount?
The Lord Jesus. (Matthew 5-7)
15. How did sickness and death enter the world?
Romans 5:12 says that sin entered the world though one man,
and death through sin. The fall of man is recorded in Genesis 3,
where God's perfect creation was spoiled by Adam's sin.
16. Who was the Roman governor who sentenced Christ to
death? Pontius Pilate. (Matthew 27:26)
17. Who are the major prophets?
Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel.
18. What people group is the Old Testament about?
The Hebrews, who became the nation of Israel. They were
descendants of Abraham though Isaac.
19. What happened while the Lord Jesus was in the desert
for 40 days?
He was tempted by the devil. (Matthew 4:1) Hebrews 4:15
tells us that He was tempted in every way, just as we are--yet was
20. How many people were on Noah's ark?
Eight: Noah and his wife, his three sons Shem, Ham, and
Japheth, and their wives. (Genesis 7:13, 1 Peter 2:5)
21. Who was the first murderer?
Cain, who killed his brother Abel. (Genesis 4:8)
22. Which person was afflicted with terrible trials but
trusted God through it all?
Job. (See book of Job)
23. Who was Israel's most well-known and well-loved
David. (1 Chronicles 29:28)
24. Who was "the weeping prophet?"
25. Who was thrown into the lion's den?
Daniel. (Daniel 6)
26. Who were the two people in the famous fight with a
stone and a sling?
David and Goliath. (1 Samuel 17)
27. What is the book of Acts about?
The early years of the church, as the gospel begins to
spread throughout the world.
28. What are epistles?
29. On what occasion was the Holy Spirit given to the
church? Pentecost. (Acts 2:1-4)
30. Whom did God command to sacrifice his only son?
Abraham. (Genesis 22:2)
31. What was the Old Testament feast that celebrated
God's saving the firstborn of Israel the night they left Egypt?
Passover. (Exodus 12:27)
32. Who was the Hebrew who became prime minister of
Egypt? Joseph. (Genesis 41:41)
33. Who was the Hebrew woman who became Queen of
Esther. (Esther 2:17)
34. Who was the pagan woman who became David's great-grandmother?
Ruth. (Ruth 4:17)
35. Which angel appeared to Mary?
Gabriel. (Luke 1:26)
36. How did the Lord Jesus die?
He gave up His life while being crucified. (John 19:18)
37. What happened to Him three days after He died?
He was raised from the dead. (John 20)
38. What happened to the Lord Jesus 40 days after His
He ascended bodily into heaven. (Acts 1:9-11)
39. What should we do when we sin, in order to restore
our fellowship with God?
1 John 1:9 tells us, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful
and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all
40. How did the universe and world get here?
Genesis 1:1 tells us, "In the beginning, God created the
heavens and the earth." We are told further in Colossians 1:16 and
17 that the Lord Jesus Christ was the one who did the creating.
41. Where did Satan and the demons come from?
Satan was originally the best and the brightest angel, but he
sinned in his pride, wanting to be God. Some of the angels followed
him, and these "fallen angels" were cast out of heaven. (Isaiah 14,
42. Who directed the writing of the Bible?
The Holy Spirit. (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21)
43. Where was the Lord Jesus before He was conceived in
Mary? In heaven. (Philippians 2:6-11, 1 Corinthians
44. Who taught in parables?
The Lord Jesus. (Matthew 13:3)
45. What are parables?
A short, simple story with a spiritual point.
46. Which two animals talked with human speech?
The serpent in the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:3) and Balaam's
donkey (Numbers 22:28)
47. With which woman did David commit adultery?
Bathsheba. (2 Samuel 11)
48. Which one of their sons succeeded David as king?
Solomon. (2 Samuel 12:24)
49. Who was the female judge of Israel?
Deborah. (Judges 4:4)
50. Who was the wisest man in the world?
Solomon. (1 Kings 3:12)
51. Who was the first man?
Adam. (Genesis 2:20)
52. Who was the most humble man on earth?
Moses. (Numbers 12:3)
53. Who was the strongest man on earth?
Samson. (Judges 13-16)
54. Where were the two nations of God's people taken into
Israel was taken into Assyria (2 Kings 17:23), and Judah
into Babylon (2 Chronicles 36:20).
55. Which cupbearer to a foreign king rebuilt the wall of
Nehemiah. (Nehemiah 2:5)
56. Who were the two Old Testament prophets who worked
miracles? Elijah and Elisha. (1 Kings 17 - 2 Kings 6)
57. Which Old Testament prophet spent three days in the
belly of a great fish?
Jonah. (Jonah 1:17)
58. What is the last book of the Old Testament?
59. For which Israelite commander did the sun stand
still? Joshua. (Joshua 10)
60. Who was the first king of Israel?
Saul. (1 Samuel 13:1)
61. Who built the temple in Israel?
Solomon. (1 Kings 6)
62. Which of the twelve tribes of Israel served as
priests? Levites. (Deuteronomy 10:8)
63. Which city fell after the Israelites marched around
it daily for seven days?
Jericho. (Joshua 6:20)
64. What did God give the Israelites to eat in the
wilderness? Manna and quail. (Exodus 16)
65. Which two people walked on water?
Jesus and Peter. (Matthew 14:29)
66. Who was the first martyr?
Stephen. (Acts 7)
67. Who betrayed Jesus to the priests, and for how
Judas betrayed Him for 30 pieces of silver, the price of a
slave. (Matthew 26:14-15)
68. What is the Lord's Prayer?
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy
kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us
this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we
forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into
temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and
the power and the glory forever. Amen. (Matthew 6:9-13)
69. Who was the first person to see the risen Lord?
Mary Magdalene. (John 20:16)
70. Which prophet and cousin of the Lord was
John the Baptist. (John 14:10)
71. To what country did the young Jesus and His parents
escape when Herod was threatening His life?
Egypt. (Matthew 2:13-15)
72. What was Christ's first miracle?
He turned water into wine at the wedding at Cana. (John
73. Which one of the Lord's personal friends did He raise
from the dead?
Lazarus. (John 11)
74. Who was the greatest missionary of the New
Paul. (see book of Acts)
75. Who was Paul's first partner?
Barnabas. (Acts 13:2)
76. Whom did an angel release from prison?
Peter. (Acts 12)
77. Which event caused God to splinter human language
into many tongues?
The building of the Tower of Babel. (Genesis 11)
78. Which chapter of an Old Testament prophet's book
gives a detailed prophecy of the Messiah's death by
crucifixion? Isaiah 53.
79. Who wrestled all night with the Lord and was left
with a permanent limp?
Jacob. (Genesis 32:22-32)
80. Which two pastors did Paul write letters to?
Timothy and Titus.
81. Who was hailed as a god when he was bitten by a snake
but nothing bad happened?
Paul. (Acts 28:5-6)
82. Which two New Testament writers were brothers of the
James and Jude. (Matthew 13:55)
83. Which two New Testament books were written by a
Luke and Acts. (2 Timothy 4:11)
84. Who had a coat of many colors?
Joseph. (Genesis 37:3)
85. In what sin did Aaron lead the Israelites while his
brother Moses was up on the mountain talking to God?
They made an idol in the form of a golden calf. (Exodus 32)
86. How many books are there in the entire Bible?
66: 39 in the Old Testament, and 27 in the New Testament.
87. What's the difference between John the Baptist and
the John who wrote several New Testament books?
John the Baptist was a prophet who proclaimed the kingdom
of God was near in preparation for his cousin Jesus' ministry.
The John who wrote the gospel of John, the epistles--1, 2 and 3
John--and Revelation, was one of the twelve apostles and one of
those closest to the Lord, along with Peter and James. He called
himself "the disciple whom Jesus loved."
8. Who saw the Lord appear to him in a burning bush?
Moses. (Exodus 3)
89. How many sons did Jacob have?
Twelve. They were the ancestors of the twelve tribes of
Israel. (Genesis 35:22)
90. Who gave up his birthright for a bowl of stew?
Esau. (Genesis 25:33)
91. Which Psalm starts out, "The Lord is my shepherd, I
shall not want?"
92. Who disowned the Lord Jesus three times before a cock
Peter. (Matthew 26:69-75)
93. What did the Lord do just before the Last Supper to
demonstrate His love and humility?
He washed the disciples' feet. (John 13:5)
94. Where is the New Testament "Hall of Faith?"
95. Who appeared with the Lord in glory on the Mount of
Elijah and Moses. (Mark 9:4)
96. Who is the second Adam?
The Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:45-49)
97. Which Old Testament prophet married a prostitute
because God told him to?
Hosea. (Hosea 1:2)
98. What are the two sacred ordinances that the Lord
commanded us to observe?
Baptism (Matthew 28:19,20) and Communion, or the Lord's
Table (1 Corinthians 11:23-26).
99. What are supernatural enablings that allow a believer
to serve the Body of Christ with ease and effectiveness?
Spiritual gifts. (Romans 12:6-8, 1 Corinthians 12, Ephesians
4:8-13, 1 Peter 4:10-11)
100. Whose tomb was Christ buried in?
Joseph of Arimathea. (Matthew 27:57-60)
101. Who wrote the book of Hebrews?
102. Which is the "epistle of joy?"
103. What is the book of Revelation about?
The end of the world.
104. Who is the bride of Christ?
The church--that is, all who have trusted Him for salvation.
(Ephesians 5:25-27, Revelation 19:7-8)
© 2000 Probe Ministries International