Philosophy Department Waggener Hall 405 Campus mail code: C3500 Tu 11-12 am, Wed 2-3 pm, or by appt. University of Texas (512) 471-4857; fax 471-4806. Austin, TX 78712-1180 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
B.A., Philosophy, Michigan State University. Summa cum laude, 1979.
B.A., Philosophy and Theology, Oxford University. First Class Honours, 1981
Ph.D., Philosophy, UCLA. 1987.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
- Philosophical Logic
- Applications of Logic in Artificial Intelligence, Ethics and Philosophy of Science
- Probability, Belief Revision, and Causal Reasoning
Sept. 1, 1993-- present: Associate Professor, University of Texas at Austin.
1987-1993 -- Assistant Professor, University of Texas at Austin.
- Gustave O. Arlt Award (Council of Graduate Schools) 1992
- Carnap Prize (UCLA) 1987
- Danforth Fellow, l979-85
- Dillistone Scholar (Oriel College, Oxford), l980
- Marshall Scholar, l979-1981
- National Science Foundation, Division of Information, Robotics and Intelligent Systems, "The Logic and Representation of Properties and Propositions for Computer Natural Language Processing," with Kamp, Bonevac, Asher, and C. Smith, 1988-1989.
- National Research Council. Travel Grant for Attendance of the Ninth International Congress on Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Uppsala, Sweden, 1991.
- Association for Symbolic Logic. Travel Grant for Attendance of the Tenth International Congress on Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, Florence Italy, 1995.
Paradoxes of Belief and Strategic Rationality (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK & New York, 1992).
- "A Representational Account of Mutual Belief," Synthese, 81: 21-45 (December, l989).
- "Doxastic Paradoxes without Self-Reference," Australasian Journal of Philosophy 68:168-177 (June 1990).
- "Three Indexical Solutions to the Liar," Situation Theory and Its Applications , ed. R. Cooper, K. Mukai & J. Perry (Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford, Calif., 1990), pp. 259-286.
- "Doxic Paradox: A Situational Approach," Situation Theory and Its Applications, Vol. 2 , ed. J. Barwise, M. Gawron, G. Plotkin, & S. Tutiya (Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford, Calif., 1991), pp. 161-178.
- "Doxastic Paradox and Reputation Effects in Repeated Games," Proceedings of the Fourth Conference on Theoretical Aspects of Reasoning about Knowledge, ed. Yoram Moses (Morgan Kaufmann, Los Altos, Calif., 1992), pp. 60-72.
- "Nonmonotonic Projection, Causation and Induction," Situation Theory and Its Applications, Vol. 3, ed. P. Aczel, D. Israel, Y. Katagiri, & S. Peters (Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford, Calif., 1993).
- "Faith, Probability, and Infinite Passion," Faith and Philosophy 10:145-160 (April, 1993).
- "The Revision of Beliefs in a Changing World," (with Nicholas Asher), Proceedings of the Fifth Conference on Theoretical Aspects of Reasoning about Knowledge, ed. Ronald Fagin (Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, 1994), pp. 321-340.
- "Gauthier and the Rationality of Justice," Philosophical Studies 76: 1-26 (October, 1994).
- "A New Solution to the Sorites Problem," Mind 103 (October, 1994): 439-450.
- "Nonmonotonic Reasoning and Moral Dilemmas: the Divorce of Ethics from Classical Logic," (with T. K. Seung), Defeasible Deontic Logic: Essays in Nonmonotonic Normative Reasoning, ed. Donald Nute (Kluwer Academic, 1996, forthcoming).
- "Information, Representation and the Problem of Error," in Situation Theory and its Applications, Vol. 4, ed. J. Seligman & J. Barwise (CSLI, 1996), pp. 333-346.
- "Nonmonotonic Reasoning and Moral Dilemmas: the Divorce of Ethics from Classical Logic," (with T. K. Seung), Defeasible Deontic Logic: Essays in Nonmonotonic Normative Reasoning, ed. Donald Nute (Kluwer Academic, 1997).
- "A New Look at the Cosmological Argument," American Philosophical Quarterly 34 (April, 1997): 171-192.
- Book Reviews and encyclopedia articles
- "Review of Truth, Vagueness and Paradox , by Vann McGee," Canadian Philosophical Review 12(2):118-122 (April 1992).
- "Paradoxes, Semantic," Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics (Pergamon Press/ Aberdeen University Press, 1993).
- "Review of Springs of Action: Understanding Intentional Behavior, by Alfred R. Mele," Review of Metaphysics (June,1993):861-863.
- "Book Review: Anil Gupta and Nuel Belnap. The Revision Theory of Truth," Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic (Fall 1994) 35(4):606-631.
- "Probability and Conditionals, Belief Revision and Rational Decision, edited by Ellery Eells and Brian Skyrms," Journal of Symbolic Logic (March 1997) 62(1):330-335.
WORK IN PROGRESS
Realism: Applications of an Exact Theory of Causation and Teleology