Exhibit 3-1: Handouts for "Success" Talks
Joseph McRae Mellichamp
Dr. Joseph McRae Mellichamp is Emeritus Professor of Management Science in the Manderson Graduate School of Business at the University of Alabama and National Faculty Representative for Christian Leadership Ministries. For 25 years, Dr. Mellichamp combined successful academic pursuits with effective Christian ministry activities.
How to Be a Success in Business
Develop a Game Plan for Your Career/Life
- Take time to plan and evaluate.
- Set goals and objectives. "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
- Set priorities. Important things vs. urgent things.
Have a "Can Do" Attitude
- Anticipate what is expected of you.
- Accept every assignment with enthusiasm.
- Be flexible.
- Come early, stay late.
- Never violate your personal code of ethics.
Aim for Excellence in Every Task
- "It just takes a little extra effort to go first class."
- Earn a reputation for excellence.
Look for Career-Making Opportunities
- Too risky or too difficult for others.
- Actively seek greater responsibility.
- Don’t be afraid to fail. Failure is rarely fatal.
- Learn from your mistakes.
Relate Properly to Others
- "Don’t call H.Q. until the enemy is coming through the front door."
- "Three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, the boss’s way."
- Never correct your superior in public, and rarely in private.
- Don’t draw attention to your weaknesses.
- "There is no such thing as a personality conflict."
- Be better than your peers, but don’t show them up.
- Help your subordinates succeed.
Pay Attention to Politics
- Understand office politics, but don’t participate.
- "Make your points in the trenches, and attend the parades."
Pay Attention to Your Image
- Dress for success.
- Keep yourself physically fit.
Have a Purpose Larger than Your Job
A Strategy For Academia
Set Specific Long-range/Short-range Objectives
- Research: One main area.
- Teaching: One or two courses.
Things to Avoid
- Committee work. Do your share, no more.
- Preparations. The fewer the better.
- Politics. Understand, but don’t participate.
- Administration. Unless you want a career.
Become a Manager
- Of activity. You think, let others work.
- Of time. Do important things, not urgent things.
Become a Well-Rounded Square
© Copyright 1997, Joseph McRae Mellichamp
Copies of Ministering in the Secular University are available for $12.50 for U.S. addresses and $25.00 for international destinations. Include the appropriate payment and request Ministering in the Secular University from
Lewis & Stanley Publishers
P.O. Box 129
Addison, TX 75001 USA