I want to do some sightseeing while I'm here. How can I get around?
To travel between cities in the United States, you may use the following forms of transportation:

Bus companies provide service to many cities and towns throughout the United States. Bus travel is relatively inexpensive, although it takes longer to travel that way as compared to other forms of transportation. Some bus companies allow you to purchase special "passes" which allow you to travel anywhere throughout the country. Contact the bus company for information on passes, schedules, and rates.

The United States passenger train service, Amtrak, is faster than buses. But trains cost more and offer only a limited selection of destinations.

Airplane (or airline)
Major airlines, such as United, TWA, American, and so forth, provide service to most large cities in the United States. Smaller airlines fly to a limited number of cities, or to cities within a specific region. Many airlines offer a "frequent flyer" program which rewards you with a free flight for flying a certain amount of miles in a certain period of time. Contact the airline you use to see if it has such a program.

Rental car
If you do not own a car, you may consider renting a car through a rental agency, such as Avis, Budget, Hertz, or National. Renting a car generally costs from $30-$60 per day, but you may also be required to pay a mileage fee for each mile you drive. In order to rent a car, you will need a driver's license, and you will also probably be required to pay a cash deposit in advance or give the rental agency a credit card number to cover the deposit. The rental agency will refund the deposit when you return the car without damage.

What can a travel agency do for me?

Travel agencies will put together all your travel arrangements. They will reserve tickets for you on airlines, buses, and trains; make hotel or motel reservations; and find the best rates on rental cars and tickets-all at no cost to you. Your campus may have a travel agency, or you can find one by looking under "Travel Agencies" in the yellow pages.

Where can I get a road map?

You can purchase road maps of different cities, regions, and states at gas stations, bookstores, convenience stores, and other locations. If you plan to travel through many states, you may want to purchase an atlas, which contains maps of all 50 states. You can purchase an atlas from a bookstore. Many states operate visitors centers or tourist offices at major highway entry points. You can obtain state and city maps through these offices as well as information on road conditions in the state and other questions you may have.

What kind of highway (road) system does the United States have?

The highway system in the United States is made up of several different roads. The interstate system connects major cities by primarily four-and six-lane roads that do not have any stop signs or lights to slow travel. You can only get off interstate highways at "exits." Some of these roads in and near large cities are "toll roads," which require a toll (a fee) to drive on the road.

The older highway system in the United States goes to many more towns and cities than the interstate roads. However, these highways are usually much slower because the roads are smaller (usually only two lanes), and they pass through many small towns. Finally, state and county roads (some of which are not paved) connect smaller communities and points of interest, such as parks, lakes, and campgrounds.

What type of overnight lodging is available?

Along most interstates and highways, you will see signs for motels or motor inns, which offer overnight rooms for travelers. Some motels, such as Econo Lodge, Budget Inn, Motel 6, and so forth, are less expensive than other motels and hotels.

Hotels are usually much larger than motels and are designed more for people who are planning to stay for longer than one night-vacationers and business people-than for people traveling through town for one night. Hotels cost more because they usually offer more services, such as swimming pools, restaurants, and gift or food stores.

Hotels generally prefer reservations in advance. Motels usually do not require reservations except during holidays and in areas that attract a lot of tourists during certain times of the year.

How should I carry money when traveling?

Since most motels, restaurants, and stores do not accept out-of-town checks, you should either use a credit card or traveler's checks. Traveler's checks may be purchased from your local bank. Do not carry large amounts of cash when you travel.

Traveler's checks come in denominations (bills) like cash. Unlike cash, you can replace traveler's checks if they are lost or stolen. When using traveler's checks, keep a list of the check numbers separate from the checks themselves, and keep a record of which checks you spend. This way, if you lose your checks, you can get a refund for those you have not used.

go on to In the Classroom

back to "How to Survive" table of contents

© Copyright information