Do's and Dont's of American Student Life
1. Never pick at your nose in public.
2. Never talk about someone's weight --"you are very fat".
3. Never ask "how much did you pay for that" or "how much money do you make".
4. Never smoke indoors (unless given permission).
5. Never change the TV station, the air conditioner or fan controls in someone else's home. If you are cold, put on a sweater.
6. Never hit anybody - animal or human.
7. Never talk about the bathroom.
8. Never spend more than 5 to 10 minutes on someone else's phone.
9. Never bring a friend with you to a party or dinner - unless you have asked the host if it is okay.
10. Never spend more than 20-30 minutes in the bathroom at one time--others may be waiting.
11. Never burp, belch, or pass gas in public - if you do be sure and say, "excuse me".
12. If you sneeze in public, cover your mouth and say "excuse me".
13. Always be on time - between 5 minutes early and 5 minutes late, no more.
14. If you say that you will attend something--attend! Don't say "yes" to be nice and then not show up.
15. If for some reason you cannot attend, call the host ahead of time to explain.
16. Use deodorant and brush your teeth or use mouthwash. Americans are very sensitive about body odors.
17. Driving - do not honk the horn, except in very dangerous emergencies. It is considered very rude, except in New York City.
18. Do not flash your lights at someone to tell them to hurry or get out of your way.
19. If you are driving on bright lights for better visibility and a car comes toward you, dim your lights.
20. Before 8 AM and after 9 PM Be Quiet. No loud TV or radio.
21. Do not wipe off your cup or silverware in a restaurant. They are clean. If you see that they are not clean ask the waiter or waitress for a new one.
22. When moving out of your dorm room or apartment-leave it clean. always leave a place even cleaner than you found it--people will have fond memories of you.
23. Do not address your school teacher as "teacher". Call him by name: for example, Professor Brown, Mr. Smith, Ms, Jones.
24. Never throw trash on the ground or out a window--it is illegal.
25. Buy trash bags for your trash and put it out only at the appointment time at the right place.
26. When you have a guest come to visit, turn down, or off the TV set.
back to Life in America
back to ISR homepage