THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE
Habit 1 -- Be Proactive
Principles of Personal Vision
Self-awareness enables us to stand apart and examine the way we see
ourselves. It is our map of the basic nature of mankind.
The Social Mirror
There are three widely accepted theories of determinism:
- Genetic determinism holds that you inherit your personal
tendencies and character.
- Psychic determinism holds that your upbringing and childhood
experiences mold you.
- Environmental determinism holds that environmental factors are
Between Stimulus and Response
Frankl, a psychologist in the Freudian tradition, recognized that
"between stimulus and response, man has the freedom to choose."
- Imagination -- the ability to create in our minds beyond our
- Conscience -- an inner awareness of right and wrong.
- Independent will -- the ability to act based on self-awareness.
Proactivity. As human beings we are responsible for our own lives.
- Reactive people are driven by feelings, circumstances, conditions,
- Proactive people are driven by carefully considered, selected and
Taking the Initiative
Taking the initiative does not mean being pushy, obnoxious, or
aggressive. It does mean recognizing our responsibility to make things
Circle of Concern/Circle of Influence
Where do you focus your time and energy?
- Proactive people focus their efforts in the Circle of Influence.
- Reactive people focus their efforts in the Circle of Concern.
Direct, Indirect, and No Control
Problems fall in one of three areas:
Changing our habits, changing our methods of influence and changing the
way we see our no control problems are all within our Circle of
- Direct control: problems involving our own behavior.
- Indirect control: problems involving the behavior of others.
- No control: problems we can do nothing about, e.g., our past.
Odds and Ends
[ Overview | Table of Contents | Next
- Distinguish between have's and be's.
- Understand consequences and mistakes.
- The ability to make and keep commitments and promises is at the
heart of our Circle of Influence.